z

Young Writers Society



The Warrior Princess

by Warrior Princess


I have lived on this green earth
Only fourteen years
And yet Fate has already placed
Her mark on me.
I am young, yet I am no child.
I am a girl, yet grown men bow before me.
My ivory skin
Once so soft
Is now torn with battle scars.

Where did my innocence go?

They thought they could control me
They thought they could give me away
They thought I would be weak
But they were wrong.
I am a warrior princess
And I will be no man's prize.
If you want me, come and claim me!

I dare you.

My gowns I have traded
For mail and armor
My crown for a helm
My kingdom for a horse.
They say I am beautiful
And perhaps I am.
My lips are red--
Red as the blood I have shed
To protect what I love.
My eyes are gray
Like the tears I have cried.

My life is not an easy one.

But I am not afraid to fight
My enemies learn that the hard way.
And the pain it causes others
Pales in light of the pain
It causes me.

I am a warrior princess. So I was, so I am, and so I shall be.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 25

Donate
Wed May 28, 2008 8:26 pm
December Nights wrote a review...



That is such a cool poem. It totally reflects the warrior princess thing. It is great. But one thing is that it goes down really long. So you might want to combine some of the lines maybe. It's cool how you put those one liners by themselves. They really stood out, like they seemed like they were supposed to be. The innocence part doesn't entirely make sense though. Because I get that it went away some how, but I don't really understand though.




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 17

Donate
Wed May 28, 2008 2:30 am
justin5676 wrote a review...



I liked this. I liked how you were short and to the point, and didn't drag out the whole poem with unneeded words and information just to make it rhyme, like most people do. What I didn't get, was it says "To protect what I love". What is she protecting?




User avatar
115 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 115

Donate
Tue May 27, 2008 11:27 pm
Writing for love is a pas wrote a review...



Thank you thank you thank you! Finally, a girl has stood up and said that women can and will be warriors too! I'm tired of all guys thinking that they are superior because they think they can fight! (some can, but girls are SO better). Like Kelsi said, this was impowering. NICE JOB!!




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 49

Donate
Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:42 am
Kelsi222 says...



Hey!!
I really enjoyed your poem. I thought as a girl, it was very impowering, if that makes any sence, espiaclly with the line "And I will be no man's prize". I thought it rocked!!

Keep up the great work!!!!

Kelsi =)




User avatar
180 Reviews


Points: 8691
Reviews: 180

Donate
Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:52 am



Thx 4 reading my poem ppl.
Wolf said it's too cliched. That may be so, but sometimes cliches truly are the best way of saying things. BTW, Wolf, I find it hard 2 believe that you are only 12. You sound more like you're 18.
Glad you liked it, Zalex! And I totally agree with everything you said about girls.




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 25

Donate
Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:21 am
Zalex wrote a review...



I disagree with Camille. I loved this poem! It reminds me of Mulan. I love the concept that it projects. To me, being a warrior princess means being a girl and not letting men do all of the tough stuff. Girls can do anything boys can and no one should ever deny it. Boys might have a bigger build, therefore stronger but mentally and usually physically we can do the same things and better than them.

Zalex




User avatar
602 Reviews


Points: 1609
Reviews: 602

Donate
Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 pm
Wolf wrote a review...



Warrior Princess --

This is okay, as far as the quality of the poem goes. There is some pretty - if not clichéd - imagery, and he flow is generally pretty good.

I think the biggest problem you have here is the cliché-ness of the poem. I've read/seen/heard so many things about warrior princesse now, it's getting kinda old...
I have a female warrior in my novel, but she is not the only one. This idea of a teenaged girl being the single feminine warrior in a bunch of guys is quite overused.

Furthermore, I think you could cut back on the 'I pity those I kill' thing. It, too, is overused, and... it doesn't make for an interesting poem. Maybe you could write about the way time and experience have hardened her towards the horrors of war - maybe she doesn't care for her victims? I don't know.

Work with this. It has some potential. ^_~

- Camille





Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality